Today’s Advent reading from Good News of Great Joy discusses the way God’s providence and sovereignty guide ALL actions throughout history to bring about His Plan and that the little people of God should not feel insignificant in a big world. All is guided by God.
EDIT: Updated the post to include myth #4.
Here is a sad report from the European Union Parliament President. Continue reading ““Christians ‘Not Safe in our Continent’””
The environmental movement has done with the whole global warming/climate change hysteria they are creating, and sadly, governments, as we see with the IPCC report just released, are colluding under the assumption that carbon dioxide is causing global warming (or as its now been called, climate change, just in case the temperature does go down, it can be blamed on anthropogenic [man-made] sources as well.) This fits the characteristics of a Big Lie and extortion because it is undertaken to achieve a policy goal that people would not normally agree to i.e., giving up economic prosperity to stop something that humans have no control over.
Looking closely at the IPCC report, we see that they consider it very likely that anthropogenic (human produced) carbon dioxide (CO2) is causing global warming. But there is a footnote to that very likely and looking at that we see it is the definition of “very likely.” The report defines “very likely” as “>90% chance of occurrence.” Now that still leaves 10% chance that it won’t occur, which means that there is a 10% chance that the experts are wrong and that their data has been contributed to chance.
What does all this mean? Well, as a student of the political science field, whenever there is a survey, they always quote those numbers at the bottoms of polls saying “+-4%, 95%” What they are saying is that they are 95% certain that the results can be within plus or minus of the number on the screen–the margin of error. So, as you hear the talking heads on TV state that it is a dead heat, that usually means that both candidates or issues are within the margin of error, so, either one could be leading. Well, the IPCC report leaves a 10% chance that they are wrong.
Being that political science has to be held to the 95% confidence interval to taken seriously, why then are we basing drastic economic and policy change on a 90% confidence interval? This question bears acute examination since the hard sciences have always been held to a higher standard. The FDA would not allow a drug on the market that kills 1 person out of every 10 that takes it. They consider that too great a risk. They might allow 1 in 100 and probably 1 in 1000, since the chance of death is 1% and O.1%, respectively, but certainly not 1 in 10 except in rare circumstances.
As Richard Feynman said when the TTAPS report came out about a nuclear war causing nuclear winter: “I really don’t think these guys know what they are talking about.” I echo the same sentiment towards the global warming scientists.
The Christian Response
After the creation of Adam and Eve, God told them to “fill the earth and subdue it.” Similarly, Adam’s first work in the Garden was the name all the animals. So, early in the creation account mankind has authority over the earth and is supposed to use the earth to his purposes for food and water, life, shelter and clothing. At the Fall, we see a merciful God (with foreshadowing that a payment is needed for sin) crafting animal skins to cover Adam and Eve instead of their leaf attire. So, certainly the picture presented in Genesis and the whole Bible is one of order and one of creatures worshiping the Creator instead of creation.
Further we see in the New Testament that as our bodies are the holy temple of the Lord, we are to take care of them and use them in service fitting to the Lord. Thus, sinful and destructive activities that do not present the glory of God to others and give Him praise should not be practiced. Some in the Christian history have said that this prohibits smoking; I do not see this as the case. However, I certainly do not recommend it nor thing that we can smoke to give glory to Jesus! I apply the discussion that Paul had with the Corinthians regarding meat sacrificed to idols—do as the Holy Spirit convicts.
The key word here is stewards. A steward is one who takes care of something for another. God has given us the ability to use the earth for our benefit but expects us to do so responsibly. Technological advances in the last 50 years make a lot of the environmental issues moot. However, a line from Casting Crowns echos the current environment Christians, in our response to presenting the truth, have to fight against:
As we’re sung to sleep by philosophies
That save the trees and kill the children
The famous quote from Jospeh Goebbles is one probably known by everyone.
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.
However, the rest of the quote tells the motivation for the Big Lie and is the most damaging part of the Big Lie—it provides power to the State and represses truth.
The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
For those that don’t know, Goebbles was the Minister for Propaganda for the Nazi’s in Germany from 1933 until 1945.
This is essentially true. If you repeat the lie people think that what you are saying is the truth because time after time your lie is what they hear that they have no choice but to believe it. The lie becomes the truth. But who is telling the lie? Goebbles isn’t talking about simple human to human contact (though I supposed it could work as well). He is talking about the State telling a lie to the People of the State that the State represents.
However, Goebbles understands that the lie can only persist to truth if the Truth is not found out. Thus, there is an incentive for the State to
use all of its powers to repress dissent
and maintain its power. Goebbles understood that the lie could be of great importance to fortifying the power of the State if the State is seen as being benevolent with the lie and protecting its citizens. This is how the Holocaust was carried out. The great German state was saving its “proper” citizens from these “improper” citizens to keep the “proper” citizens from being corrupted or overrun or whatever. In reality the State was using its power to repress the dissent that German soldiers were killing innocent men, women and children because they weren’t considered “acceptable” by the State. Those that tried to bring truth to the lie shared the same fate.
Goebbles’ quote then sets up a causal logic chain that explains this. The lie gives the State power as the State is using its power to repress dissent and the more and more dissent there is the more power the State will need to repress it. This leads to Goebbles conclusion that
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
The truth must be repressed because it exposes the lie for what it is and once exposed the power the State wields will fail as well.
The Christian Response
We have a duty to share the truth. We are commissioned by Jesus to “go into all the world and proclaim the Gospel.” This involves making man aware of his fallen state and how we have all trespassed God’s commands. We then need to let people know that there is an answer—Jesus—and all they need to do is trust in his finished work on the cross for forgiveness and nothing else. Then they grow in holiness through prayer and study of the Word. That is the truth of the world—all are sinners and all need Jesus.
However, this truth is being repressed by a Big Lie—the role of Christians and politics. For decades now the Left has told Christians that we are not to impose our views on others through the state. For example, we (Christians) cannot pray in public schools because it offends those who are not Christians. Or, all religious symbols must be banned from public schools because it offends atheists. However, as a Christian I am offended that my religion is being supplanted by non-religions. My right to exists and my right to practice my faith is being trampled on when I have to accommodate those who do not believe. Or, we have to be tolerant of others but not Christians by allowing Muslims to pray in school but not Christians. Thus, these are just a few examples how Christians are being targeted and not just religion. The truth is under attack by a Big Lie.
So, in my previous post on the movement of college extortion, I started off by saying that liberals are the party of extortionists AND that extortion is a crime. I won’t re-hash that here, but my thinking is that this is a good way to draw a dichotomy between the liberals and conservatives.
Liberals want power from the people and conservatives want to en-power the people.
Liberals Advancing Their Power
There are multiple topics where we see liberals extorting—i.e., using the threat of fear to get one to do that which they would not normally do—Americans to implement their agenda that give them power. Ozone controversy in the 1980s. Global warming of the 1990s and when that didn’t happen, now its climate change. Affordable Care Act passage to read the bill. Debt crises–we have to extend the debt or default and we’ll talk about the “solution” later. These are plenty of examples we can learn from, but to understand how liberals extort the American public to gain power, lets look at Rahm Emmanuel’s favorite saying, “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.”
This is the essence of liberal extortion. Continue reading “liberal extortion: an overview”